Saturday, May 19, 2007

More on the 15F

It’s quite weird that there are a lot of “appearances” in that office building. It’s relatively new and I haven’t heard about any accident or mishap that resulted in death in that building. The area is also not known for such things. The only thing to note, however, is the fact that the building is across a church that has a masoleum in its premises. Oh well.

It was a Friday night and everyone left me behind in the office. I had to meet my classmates from the marketing research class I was taking. I stayed at the office to finish the iterations of the study we were making. There were only two other people in the floor – Manong Sonny, the janitor who was earning 30K per month and the Manong Guard. Manong Sonny was quite apprehensive about me staying late because he really didn’t like my room.

In my previous story I mentioned that I moved to several spots. I had it made when I was finally moved to a corner office! It wasn’t big, just about 12 square meters, but the Manila Bay sunset view was what always made my day (far cry from my garage view at my basement now heh). But Manong Sonny and the building maintenance people weren’t really happy that I was placed there.

I like well-lighted rooms. I even requested maintenance to add several fluorescents in my room. I thought it was too dark. One time while the maintenance guy was installing additional lights in my room he told me, “Ma’am ingat po kayo dito ha.” (Ma’am, be careful here.). I thought it was quite weird and asked him why. “Meron pong kakaibang nilalang dito. Kayo na po ang may pinakamaliwanag na opisina sa buong building at makakatulong po to.” (There is something different here in your office. Your office is the most-lighted one in the whole building, but this would surely help).

I didn’t mind what he said until a few days later the decorative stuff that hid the light came off and almost hit me on my head. I actually ran to Anne’s place and complained about what happened. The maintenance guy immediately showed up and said, “Sabi sa iyo Ma’am eh.” (I told you so.). I just shrugged it off and thought that it was because he didn’t hinge the thing properly when he installed the lights.

Eversince then whenever I stayed late – usually until 7 – Manong Sonny would check on me every so often. It was only on that evening that I was to meet my classmates that I understood what Manong Sonny and the maintenance guy was trying to tell me. I was happily being a nerd when I heard the tapping on the glass. I thought there was someone from publishing trying to get my attention – I was like in a fishbowl in my office, despite the blinds, everyone in the publishing section could see what I was doing. I then checked who was tapping the glass. There wasn’t anyone. And then I heard it again, it was to my right. I then thought my colleague who was situated in the next room was just dissing me. I knew she went home early and thought maybe she went back to get something. There was no one.

I called out to Manong Sonny and the Manong Guard, but they weren’t within earshot. I just then shrugged it off and continued my computations. Tap-tap-tap. I just raised my brow. Tap-tap-tap. Hmmm… The rapping on the glass continued and wouldn’t stop. I started praying and saving up my work. It was already way past ten in the evening and I thought the occupants weren’t really happy I was still there.

Tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap-tap.

I quickly shut down my PC and ran.

6 comments:

Eilanna said...

I knew that place is haunted the minute I stepped in! Last year, they had the priest bless it with holy water...the entire office except for the area where our department is stationed that is...weird eh?!

Aileen Apolo-de Jesus said...

alam ko kung bakit ayaw mawala... hihihi... tsk tsk tsk...

Unknown said...

baka meron po na ayaw ipa-bless 'yung dept niyo.. hehe..

Gali said...

Hi Aileen! When I met you at the Davao Bloggers Party I didn't think you had these kinds of experiences.

Surprisingly, I liked reading it. Weird noh? Did you have similar experiences in Davao? hehe

Aileen Apolo-de Jesus said...

@waltzib - I have a lot! I think I must've written about my Davao experience in my `hotel ghosts' post. See you in Davao later this month!

Anonymous said...

Baka gusto lang "niya" na may pumansin sa kanya kaya ka niya kinatok nun.... must be a lonely one....

Anywho, ingats ingats pa rin.